- Mainframes host most of the world’s data: Mainframes are used to process about 95% of the transactions in the banking, insurance, airline and retail industries and host about 70% of the world’s data. They often run mission critical workloads that have specific performance and security requirements best served by a mainframe computer.
- Mainframe security is unmatched: The IBM zSeries is the current generation of the world’s most powerful transaction processing system, capable of running more than 12 billion encrypted transactions per day, with a footprint as small as a standard rack. It addresses online security by enabling the ability to encrypt data at light speed. Currently, only about 4% of online transactions are encrypted. This is a game changer in terms of cyber security. Even if hackers can access data, the encryption makes it unusable. The new platform can also identify potential tampering and quickly encrypt the programming interfaces that tie applications and services together. Storing sensitive data-at-rest on an IBM zSeries provides encryption protection against potential exposure, as long as its encryption key is secured. This level of encryption is an attractive option for a company as part of their data loss prevention plan.
- The cost of ownership is lower than ever: The total cost of ownership (TCO) of the new generation of mainframe has improved from previous generations. Businesses will also see their software costs go down as they invest in newer mainframe technology. When analyzing cost savings, many businesses fail to anticipate the additional cost for IT staff to maintain a server farm which is often more expensive than the cost of mainframe hardware and software maintenance. In some cases the additional cost of manpower eliminates savings, making the mainframe a more attractive option. Mainframes still require an extensive infrastructure to host and maintain them, and increasingly, businesses are turning to Managed Services Providers (MSPs) to host their mainframe in a purpose-built data centre, further reducing their capital and operating costs.
- Scarce support resources are a big concern with mainframe computer operations: Those entering computing careers today are more attracted to developing apps than running mainframe computers, and post-secondary schools are no longer teaching mainframe skills like COBOL. As a result, there is a serious shortage in mainframe skills in the marketplace. Cover-All Managed IT Services hires and trains mainframe personnel to manage and support the mainframes for their largest clients. This shared resource pool has become a valuable asset for Cover-All clients.
- Mainframe computers are cloud friendly: Today’s version of the mainframe computer is equipped to handle the speed and security of high demand processing but also has the ability to integrate with cloud applications giving companies unprecedented flexibility as they make decisions about their companies’ future IT direction.
To find out more about how Cover-All can help you with all of your mainframe needs, give us a call today at 1-833-268-3788 or visit our website at https://www.msp.cover-all.ca/managed-it-services/mainframe-managed-services/